Join the Tandem Club today. We are the club for all tandemists and would-be tandemists. Benefits:
- Three rallies a year
- Bi-monthly 48-page magazine on everything to do with tandems (spoken-word edition for VI members)
- Local groups for day and weekend group rides
- For Sale and Wanted boards
- Database of GPS and route sheet rides
- Advice and help
The Department for Transport seek views on changes to the Highway Code to improve road safety, and so as a club we will make a submission on behalf of tandemists. If you wish to contribute to the Club’s response, which is set out in the latest TCJ, please send your comments to Eifion Francis and Jonathan Flower. Details below.
There are 3 main changes proposed:
- Introducing a hierarchy of road users - those who can do the greatest harm have the greatest responsibility
- Clarifying rules for pedestrian priority
- Guidance on safe passing distances and speeds when overtaking cyclists and priority at junction
- Tandem riders need to exercise greater prudence and responsibility than ordinary bicycles.
- Special mention should be made for tandems and other ‘non-standard’ forms of cycles, which may be longer, wider or less manoeuvrable than a conventional single bicycle.
- It should be made clear that people who cycle, especially on tandems and adapted cycles, may have impaired sight, hearing or mobility.
- The proposals about cycle crossings could be strengthened.
- The proposals advise cyclists to: “ ...leav(e) enough room (a door’s width or 0.5m) to avoid being hit if a door opens unexpectedly ..." We think 0.5m is not enough when passing parked vehicles especially on a tandem which is less manoeuvrable
- ‘bicycle’ should be replaced by the more inclusive ‘cycle’ which embraces trikes, hand cycles and other variants
- Clubs such as the Tandem Club could help promote and disseminate these changes.
The TC website group along with our Journals editor have been busy modernising the style of the TC website. We hope you like the new style ! There is on-going work to improve this style and to improve the websites functionality. To login please use the "User/Login" top menu item of the "User" quick link icon at the top of the webpage. Some of the webpage content still needs editing, GPS files need adding and we need additional articles and content for the website, so we are looking for TC member volunteers to help out. If you can spare a bit of time to help the club, please contact us at: email@example.com
Article currently on the front page of Cycling UK website and will be featured in Cycle Clips 14 August. Should create interest in the Tandem Club and attract new members
The Club is in the Daily Mail Online: