Discussions

Discussion of anything related to Tandems. Opinions expressed on this discussion board are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the Tandem Club. Postings or extracts may be published in the Tandem Club Journal.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

How to get a Tandem from John O Groats to Somerset

Sally Brock2007-03-27 13:20:28

Hello,

Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this problem?

My husband & I are cycling on our tandem from Lands End to John O'Groats on 1st June 2007. We plan to fly back from Wick (Wick to Edinburgh / Edinburgh to Bristol) on June 14th 2007 to Bristol airport.
The problem is how do we get the tandem cycle back? We are obviously restricted on packaging to ensure the bike is not damaged on the flight. Does any one have any ideas? Or would like to ride it back for us?!
Thanks
- Sally

Chris2007-03-27 16:38:20

Hi there Sally,

This might sound like a silly notion but could you post it to yourself via a courier service? The only thing about that is you're trusting a random courier to treat your beloved tandem with care. Then again, you would have to trust someone else no matter what manner you use, other than cycle or drive it back yourselves.

Michael Wilkinson2007-03-27 18:26:58

: Hello,

: It could add quite a bit to the cost of the venture, but it may be possible to arrange a one way hire of a car or van from Scotland to home. Obviously this would take more time but the cost may equate to your air fares - that's presuming that you are able to cancel any bookings!! You may also be able to include a romantic b and b en route to reward yourselves for the achievement

Nick Moore2007-03-27 22:46:05

Hi

1. Fly with the tandem. Buy a tandem bag or other packaging in Scotland (have it delivered post restante), discard at Bristol. Bubble wrap and duck tape is cheap and easy. Meet anyone coming TO Wick and acquire their packaging. Insure the tandem against damage.

2. Cycle to Inverness (120 miles). GNER to London, FGW to Taunton.

Nick

Neil hutchon2007-05-11 12:19:20

: Hi

: 1. Fly with the tandem. Buy a tandem bag or other packaging in Scotland (have
: it delivered post restante), discard at Bristol. Bubble wrap and duck tape
: is cheap and easy. Meet anyone coming TO Wick and acquire their packaging.
: Insure the tandem against damage.

: 2. Cycle to Inverness (120 miles). GNER to London, FGW to Taunton.

: Nick

We did the train route suggested by Nick last year (got off at Bristol) and enjoyed it! It was an 08:00 start (Saturday) in Inverness and we got to Bristol for 20:00. Inverness is a good spot to celebrate finishing LEJOG as well.

BTW, there is a taxi firm based in Thurso (George Ross Taxi's) which regularily transports bikes to Inverness (~£150), if the thought of another 120miles of coast road puts you off. The trailer easily fitted our tandem and the cost can be reduced if you can get others to share.

Enjoy yourselves.

Joseph Hewes2007-04-09 09:13:36

Hi Sally,

You could always extend your tour to Orkney (only a short ferry ride away) and leave your tandem with McAdie and Reeve, a local haulage company (mainly house removals) who regularly go south virtually empty. Give them a ring on 01856 872101. They have a good reputation, and bought a recumbent trike up to Orkney for me a few years ago .
While in Orkney you could meet up with my wife and me and go for a ride (it's a long time since we saw another tandem!).

Joseph.

Syd Yates2007-04-09 16:26:06

I agree with Michael,
Hire a van one way. Last trip we did was Southwest Wales - Heathrow. £115 (van) outward, return £105 (large estate car).
Syd

2020-03-02 16:08:40

Syd, Are you still out there? We now have this problem for June this year. Avis don't provide the service - who do? Thanks. Cliff

Kevin Smith2020-03-02 17:09:40

Hi, we're doing it in July, cycling to Wick after, hiring a van from Hertz, one way to Notts, £170

id be interested in how people  get on with Tandems on the train. 

Andrew Duncan2020-05-25 05:15:07

Enterprise do a one way van hire.