All forum posts

This view lists all forum posts from the different forums
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Car Parking for Tours

2021-06-27 11:21:13

Perhaps this informa;lly exists, but it occurs to me that offering car parking on a drive, if you have one, would be a good way to facilitate a tour in your region.

Wea re able to offer drive space if anyone wants to undertake a Tour to and fro South Hampshire, for example

Neil Frowe2021-06-28 10:08:43

I agree that this sound like the germ of a good idea. An informal network of tandem friendly (or even just bike-friendly) supporters could offer any combination of:

* Leave your car with us while you go off and explore on your bike;

* Lock up your bikes with us while you go to collect your vehicle;

* Borrow our tools / bike stand / bag of bits etc  if you are having trouble;

* Have a wash and a cup of tea...

This would be of particular interest for those who aren't doing a circular route, and could be useful in areas where other support is lacking.  I would happily offer such support to anybody who wants to visit Wirral / Merseyside.

Neil

Birkenhead  

Neil Frowe2021-06-28 10:08:43

I agree that this sound like the germ of a good idea. An informal network of tandem friendly (or even just bike-friendly) supporters could offer any combination of:

* Leave your car with us while you go off and explore on your bike;

* Lock up your bikes with us while you go to collect your vehicle;

* Borrow our tools / bike stand / bag of bits etc  if you are having trouble;

* Have a wash and a cup of tea...

This would be of particular interest for those who aren't doing a circular route, and could be useful in areas where other support is lacking.  I would happily offer such support to anybody who wants to visit Wirral / Merseyside.

Neil

Birkenhead  

Chris Bishop2021-06-28 13:08:48

Could call it Pair B n B? Sounds like an idea worth looking into, unfortunately we don't have drive space but even parking on the road with someone looking out for the car or Tandem secure sounds interesting.

John Little2021-06-28 13:14:09

We'd be very happy (post pandemic) to welcome anyone passing east of Durham (5 minutes from A1M J61) or look after a vehicle, not that we're particularly on any major cycle routes. 

Michael Hughes2021-06-28 13:30:10

This is an idea I would support for day rides or tours. We are located 5 miles out of the centre of Norwich within 5 mins of Sustrans route 1  Marriott's Way

Michael Hughes nr8 6lr

Tim Goffe2021-06-28 13:37:36

We live in Staveley (by Kendal), South Lakes and could offer similar hospitality to tandemists to that listed by Neil Frowe above. LA8 9NG. We even have a bike store (Wheelbase) in the village!

Could the Tandem Club maybe facilitate a list of those willing to offer hospitality to fellow members? There might need to be some safeguards to ensure only bona fide members had access.

John Watts2021-06-28 15:17:04

We are situated in Cawthorne South Yorkshire and would be happy to offer parking for anyone wanting to tour in our area S75 4HZ Bike stand and tools available also.

Terry Barnaby2021-06-29 07:15:33

We could certainly look at adding this information to the website system somehow if there is sufficient enthusiasm for this. What we could do is add it to the membership record and via the website's userPreferences allow users to tick a box and add a line of text describing what they can offer. We can then provide a live list and show the locations on our rides map system as icons on the countries maps. Only members would then be able to access this information once they have logged in. We can restrict the initial information to a postcode and email address, perhaps a telephone number as well ?

Paul BEWELL2021-06-30 07:43:55

I enthusiastically support this idea - activities to support and develop the use of (tandem) bicycles are surely the "raison d'être" of the Tandem Club !

Terry's proposal for the practical application of this initiative seems the easiest and most flexible - adding a few extra fields to the membership database would allow the information to be sorted and extracted, either as Terry suggests for a graphical view on a map, a tandem club version of "Warmshowers" or possibly as a club Handbook to print for those who want it (the Finnish 2CV Club maintains such a handbook for voyageurs in these cars).

I would be pleased to add my address in SW France to such a list.