All forum posts

This view lists all forum posts from the different forums
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Leeds to Bristol route

Philip Howard2021-07-26 19:54:33
My daughter and I are planning to do a charity cycle from Leeds to Bristol over 5 days on a Dawes Duet (trail) tandem. Anybody got any advice on route and budget stops? No 3rd brake so avoiding steep declines appreciated. Thanks Abby and Philip
Neil Benton2021-07-28 10:30:40

Hi, I have done a similar route but in reverse and on a solo bike, but you might find these comments useful.

I followed NCN 41 from Briston to Gloucester to Tewkesbury and in general it was a quiet route, there were some short sections along the Sharpness canal which were a little rough and bumpy.  Thre is a hostel at Slimbridge between Bristol and Gloucester

From Tewkesbury, I followed quiet roads to Evesham and then east of Birmingham to Lichfield.  I then roughly followed NCN54 and NCN68 to Ashbourne, Buxton, up to the NCN62 Trans Pennine Trail to Doncaster and then to Selby.

There were some hills, some steep, some on poor surfaces, between Ashbourne, Buxton, and Pennistone.  If i  had been riding the tandem there would have been some walking and pushing involved.

If I was trying it on the Tandem I would cycle to the East of Derbyshire, perhaps on NCN6 to Nottingham, then down NCN52 towards Coventry and Stratford upon Avon before joining up to my original route in Evesham.   I haven't cycled these routes  I live nearby Evesham so can advise further on these roads if you are interested.  

Good luck with the ride.

Philip Howard2021-07-28 20:17:03

Many thanks. That is the route we were thinking of doing. We were going to stop at Bawtry, Long Eaton, Brandon and Cheltenham. 

Many thanks. That is the route we were thinking of doing. We were going to stop at Bawtry, Long Eaton, Brandon and Cheltenham.