Discussions

Discussion of anything related to Tandems. Opinions expressed on this discussion board are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the Tandem Club. Postings or extracts may be published in the Tandem Club Journal.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Suspension seat post replacement spring

Martin Gibson2020-11-05 19:08:56

I have a Galaxy Discovery Twin with what I think is the original suspension seatpost for the stoker.

It looks like this seatpost had a combination of spring and elastomer to provide the suspension, but the spring is missing.

Any suggestions where I might source a replacement spring? Length would be ~60mm uncompressed, external diameter ~20mm.

Thanks!

Matthew Stephens 2020-11-07 10:30:25

Not sure where a replacement spring can be obtained, but I believe they are fairly basic seat posts - a whole basic suspension seatpost can be obtained for around £6 upwards on Amazon warehouse. Could also check ebay, gumtree or Facebook for used ones. 

Best wishes

Martin Gibson2020-11-14 12:43:57

Here's the solution I found in case it's useful for others.

I ordered a €5 replacement spring from Hollandbikeshop: https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bicycle-saddles-seatposts/seatpost-parts/seatpost-part/seatpost-spring-medium-from-55-to-84kg/

I expected this to be a bit long, and indeed it was, but trimming the elastomer which fills the remainder of the length of the seatpost was easy with a sharp knife. The setpost is now springing beautifully once again.