LOCAL EVENTS IN AUGUST 2020
There are many local activities, museums, and sites that you might enjoy while in the Salviac. We will add to this information from time to time.
Gindou Cinema - An international film festival from 15 - 22 August. Gindou is about 9 km from Salviac. The films during the day are paid and in the air-conditioned hall, The Arsenic. The evening films are free and outdoors. The last Saturday evening the films are under the stars and continuous until Sunday morning. Bring a cushion.
1. The 8th Festival of Romantic Music will be held in Salviac from July 31 to August 4 in the beautifully restored Saint Jacques le Majeur Church. The church was built betwen the 13th and 15th centuries. In addition to the festival there will be a concert to close the season on Sunday August 23 at 20:30 in the church. The Ensemble ANTIPHONA will perform. Entrance is 18 euros per person, free under 16 years old, and 10 euros for students. We plan to attend and hope you will join us. Contact us for reservations.
2. Musique en Bouriane is a festival of chamber music held each year in various small churches around Salviac. The festival occurs between the last week in August and the first week in September. We like to ride the tandem to the Sunday morning concert in Marminiac (7km). Exact dates of the festival will be posted when available.
3. Festival De Rocamadour is a sacred music festival that will be held this year from 15 - 26 August. Information is available on the site of the Festival De Rocamadour.
1. Grottes de Cougnac is one of the many prehistoric caves in this area. It is located about 16 km from Salviac and just to the north of Gourdon on the Gourdon-Sarlat road. The figures are estimated to indicate human passage began 30,000 years ago and last occurred between 18 - 20,000 years ago. In 1954 the grottes were classified as a Historical Monument.
2. The Filature de Belvès (30 km) is a favorite of Mary's.There you can learn the history of this spinning mill that operated until the 1990s and produced high quality yarn for the tapestry of Aubusson. Today the filature organizes courses and is a meeting place for those who love textile. In the boutique, yarn from France and other parts of the world can be purchased. (Mary buys yarn wherever we travel.) Guided visits can be arranged.
1. Zadkine Museum in Les Arques. The village of Les Arques with its church and museum made famous by Zadkine' stautes and art will be visited during one of the discovery circuits. Zadkine was Russian and settled in France where he spent several years in Les Arques. There is a Zadkine Museum in Paris also.
2. Museum of Agriculture and Automobiles in Salviac. Look at the video and watch for the tandems. The personality of this passionate and eccentric young collector of over 200 cars, motorcycles, tractors, bicycles, etc. is evident. It is a great video of Salviac too.
3. Just outside of Salviac and on a flat road if you go in the right direction is the Atelier-Museum of Old Clocks. This large collection of clocks from the 12th to the 21st century includes many English clocks. Guided visits in English can be arranged and the website is in English and French.
E. Cycling Rally - Prayssac