Wanted

Things wanted.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Cable coupler

Stephen Price2020-08-17 12:04:41

Does anyone have a cable coupler for sale? A small lozenge shaped device which allows one cable from the brake lever to operate two brakes at the same time.

Jon Watt2020-08-17 13:34:08
Stephen Price2020-08-23 09:45:22

Yes that’s the thing.I’m just wondering if someone has a second hand one? They seem to be about £60 new and I understand that a lot of people are taking them off old tandems as they are no longer in vogue?

Jon Watt2020-08-23 15:31:09

Oh wow, that's insane. I didn't realise they were so much.

Jon Watt2020-08-23 16:52:35

A bit of research suggests this is a common requirement in bike polo.

might not be what you're after but much cheaper.

https://onecarless.net/en/brake-levers/1375-ocl-polo-double-brake-lever.html

Stephen Price2020-08-25 09:10:40

Thanks for that- very interesting. From an engineering point of view it has to be better and it’s cheaper than the coupler!

if I get one I’ll let you know how I get on!

Martyn Aldis2020-08-26 08:47:30

If the two cables nipples house into a single pivoted stirrup it should work like the yoke used for the handbrake in a car averaging out the cable travel over a very limited range, unlike the lozenge device. I would be interesting to know how much cable pull this lever gives. First guess it is for road brakes so low pull - high mechanical advantage.

Stephen Price2020-08-27 16:02:27

Well I’ve just fitted the double cable brake leaver suggested by Jon. It went on extremely easily and works brilliantly! I’m afraid I was a bit lost by your technical comments, Martyn, but the lever travels about the same amount as the previous one if that helps...

What’s more, there is a ‘hand brake’ button on the lever. The only reason I was slightly reluctant to change the lever in the first place was because I would lose this feature as the tandem came with an extra lever which operated the rear calliper as a hand brake only. It just didn’t make sense to me to have a separate lever for a calliper which was otherwise redundant! It seems to be a throw back to when tandems had a third brake lever to operate a drag drum brake which has now been replaced by a disc brake. Does anybody else think that having a calliper just sat there as a hand brake is pointless or is it just me?