Wanted

Things wanted.
To add a response or post a new message you need to have an account and be logged in. You can get emails sent to you by enabling the Send Forum Emails tick box in your user preferences. Note you need to login to the website to add replies. See our help information here for more information.
You can add to this discussion topic using the entry box at the bottom of this page, when logged in. Login

Tandem wanted M/S

2022-10-30 20:13:13
Based in Plymouth, Devon. Looking for M/S tandem, must have disk brakes and preferably an alu frame. Not looking for a project so an unwanted/underused low mileage would be perfect 
Karen Petty2022-10-30 21:00:38

Hi Simon,

Ours is still for sale on the TC sale boards,  we have it in storage near Modbury.  Unfortunately, we're leaving tomorrow for a couple of weeks, back mid December.  I've decided to keep the Atera roof rack which is on the advert the price would be reduced.  If it's of interest, we can get in touch and sort out a viewing when we're back.

Regards, Dave Petty

https://tandem-club.org.uk/forSale?cmd=view&id=883

2022-10-31 19:26:26

Thank you Dave, I was hoping to find something a little more recent and with a lot less miles but thanks for thinking of me and good luck with your sale

simon

Mike Dunning2022-10-31 19:55:43

Hi Simon

I've an Orbit Libra you might be interested in. It's a medium/small, aluminium frame.A fast/lightweight/agile machine, very easy to ride - comfortable with plenty of seat height adjustment. New wheels and tyres, 24 speed Shimano gears. It doesn't have disc brakes, but a good set of very effective V-brakes. 

Mike

Hi Simon

I've an Orbit Libra you might be interested in. It's a medium/small, aluminium frame.A fast/lightweight/agile machine, very easy to ride - comfortable with plenty of seat height adjustment. New wheels and tyres, 24 speed Shimano gears. It doesn't have disc brakes, but a good set of very effective V-brakes. 

Mike

Hi Simon

Mike

2022-10-31 20:25:40
Thanks Mike but must have disks, sorry
Jo Hossell2022-10-31 21:52:21

Mike

We have a M/S orbit Libra with rear disk brake (and "v" parking/drag brake) and a "V" front brake - Aluminium Frame.  Let me know if you are interested and I can send more pictures.

Jo

Mike Dunning2022-10-31 22:05:52
Why the obsession with disc brakes? You're ruling out some quality tandems by ignoring other braking systems. Depending on your budget, a 'modern' tandem with discs is going to cost you a lot more than a quality machine with 'a few miles on the clock' that is still capable of giving many years reliable service and enjoyment.
James Johnson2022-11-01 05:35:25
I agree with Mike's comment.  What actually restricts your ability to stop is the amount of friction between the contact patch of your tyre with the tarmac of the road surface.  If you try to stop too quickly, using V-brakes or disc brakes, and the friction is insufficient you will lose grip and skid.  My tandem has V-brakes and they are sufficient.
2022-11-01 20:48:29
Thanks Mike & James. I'm going to do some more research so thanks for your comments. I wasn't really going to explain but what the heck, I have a neurological disease in my brain and tandem is now the way forward to keep me on a bike. Unfortunately my wife Michelle can't undertake the pilot role due to inexperience and quite a size difference but we've tried a day with Peter Bird and with Michelle's guidance I'm all good on the front. The reason for disks is that complexity and strength are difficult for me so 2 brakes rather than 3 helps, also a good disk brake I found easier to get enough pressure in my hands as opposed to more traditional brakes. That's all really, no biggie but I'll keep reading, keep learning, and keep taking all your advice and look forward to the day we can get out and join you all. PS. Whatever happens, we're never selling our Bromptons, because you never know. 
Simon
James Johnson2022-11-02 06:01:24
Noted Simon. No need to explain, of course, and the main thing is to enjoy riding any way you can.  
2022-11-03 13:29:47
Hi Simon, we have an Orbit Velocity Steps E8000 eTandem for sale, I'm about to advertise it through the club forum.  It has less than 350 miles on it, and is a 19/15 aluminium frame, so suits a pilot up to around 5'11" and a stoker up to 5'7".  Nicely modulated disc brakes, it was supplied to us by J D Tandems last year.  The price is £4,500 and we're based near Frome in Somerset.  Please do get in touch if you're interested. Graham
2022-11-03 13:56:08
Hi Graham, thanks for thinking of me. I did plan to electrify the new bike in the future but £4500 is a figure I can't stretch to unfortunately. Sorry 
2022-11-03 13:56:08
Hi Graham, thanks for thinking of me. I did plan to electrify the new bike in the future but £4500 is a figure I can't stretch to unfortunately. Sorry 
2022-11-11 20:46:03
I need to amend this thread as Thorn have recently told me we might be small/small
2022-12-02 15:53:41

All sorted now thanks. New tandem ordered

Simon